Easing of COVID-19: Lockdown Restrictions
The Government of Bangladesh (GoB) has significantly relaxed the nationwide COVID-19 lockdown restrictions effective midnight August 10 until further notice.
For additional lockdown information please read the full GoB circular at https://cabinet.gov.bd/. The circular is available under the “Notice Board.” Per the GoB circular, the following restrictions will be in place:
2. All public transportation (including passenger rail, road, and waterway services) and motorized vehicles may operate at full capacity and must abide by all COVID-19 mitigation protocols. However, public transportation companies must limit their vehicles operating to 50% of their fleet/schedule.
3. Shopping malls, marketplaces, shops, grocery stores, and pharmacies may open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and must abide by all COVID-19 mitigation protocols.
4. Hotels, restaurants, and other food shops may open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. at 50% of their seating capacity and must abide by all COVID-19 mitigation protocols.
5. Industries, mills, and factories may operate and must abide by all COVID-19 mitigation protocols.
6. Everyone must follow all health regulations and COVID-19 mitigation protocols, including mask wearing.
7. International flights will operate, and travelers must carry proof of air tickets when traveling to/from the airport. Travelers should also contact their respective airlines to confirm flights or for other inquiries. For updated information on flights, please consult the latest Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB) circulars.
The U.S. Embassy reminds all U.S. citizens to practice sound personal security measures which include following GoB laws and local government ordinances and to always carry a fully charged work or personal cell phone.
In the event of an immediate need for U.S. citizen services or an emergency, please email DhakaACS@state.gov to request an emergency appointment.
To receive U.S. Embassy Bangladesh updates, please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): https://step.state.gov/.
Please consult the U.S. Embassy’s website (https://bd.usembassy.gov/) for additional information on the situation in Bangladesh and the Department of State’s COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
You can contact the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, located at Madani Avenue, Baridhara, Dhaka Bangladesh 1212, at (88) (02) 5566-2000, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday through Thursday except for holidays. On holidays or weekends the after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (88) (02) 5566-2000; after dialing press “0” and ask for the duty officer.
Further Actions to Take:
· Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
· Visit the COVID-19 page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
· Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
· For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
· Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Bangladesh.
Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.